Jobs in the public health sector are numerous, but you need to know where to look to find them. You can find jobs across the U.S. or on a global scale in positions that range from internships to directorships. You can find public health jobs through job search engines, through major employers in the public health field and through local to federal government positions. This is how we have categorized the following top 25 public health jobs sites worth using below.
If you are just graduating from a degree in public health, be sure to check with your college or university to see what type of help they can offer in your search. Sites such as JHSPHConnect, for the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, offers a vast opportunity for graduates from that school. You also might use sites such as Health Workforce Information Center (HWIC), a place where health care professionals can continue training, find organizations and funding and other resources for work proficiency.
Public Health Jobs Sites
- Jobs in Health Care: This link leads to the page where public health jobs are listed within this site. the jobs usually link to another job resource, but it is one way to learn more about what is offered nationwide without searching through other job sites that do not focus on health care.
- PHP Partners Jobs and Careers: This collaboration of U.S. government agencies, public health organizations and health sciences libraries offers links to public health job opportunities and career-planning resources.
- Public Health Employment Connection: This career “action center” provides job seekers with public health job opportunities from across the country. Includes jobs that range from internships to directors. Site is maintained by the Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University.
- Public Health Jobs Worldwide: This site is current, and you can subscribe to issues that include “Top Jobs” and apply for jobs after you subscribe.
- PublicHealthJobs.net: This is the “preferred job search engine of the CEPH Accredited Schools of Public Health.” Create an account to save job searches and search parameters and have search results emailed to your inbox on a regular basis.
- Saint Louis University School of Public Health Job Bank: Search for positions in public health and health management and policy on this list. This list is for informational purposes and the School of Public Health assumes no responsibility for any information contained in a position announcement.
Specific Public Health Career Employers
- AcademyHealth’s Career Center: This is an important source for career advancement in the fields of health services research and health policy, offering access to professional training and job opportunities, fellowships, continuing education credits, and a place to advertise position openings.
- American Public Health Association Public Health CareerMart: The APHA is the oldest and most diverse organization of public health professionals in the world and has been working to improve public health since 1872. Their career center offers employment opportunities as well as tips and advice on how to conduct a job search.
- American Society for Healthcare Risk Management Career Center: Established in 1980, the American Society for Healthcare Risk Management is a personal membership group of the American Hospital Association with more than 5,400 members representing healthcare, insurance, law and other related professions. Use their career center to post a resume and to search for employment.
- ASTHO Public Health Job Bank: The Association of State and Territorial Health Officials is the national non-profit organization representing the public health agencies of the United States, the U.S. Territories, and the District of Columbia, as well as the 120,000 public health professionals these agencies employ.
- Family Health International Career Center: Improve health around the world and become part of a team of outstanding colleagues. FHI offers a search engine to find public health careers on an international basis with their organization.
- Global Health Council Job Openings: Most of the jobs currently found on this site consist of internships in GHC’s two locations — DC or Vermont; but, for those who seek entry-level positions in public health, these opportunities might be what the doctor ordered.
- iHEA Jobs: The International Health Economics Association seeks a variety of employees from senior directors to professors and epidemiologists for their international positions.
- PHF Jobs & Internships: The Public Health Foundation is looking for the best and the brightest individuals to expand their capabilities and to become future leaders in the public health arena.
- Public Health Institute Employment: PHI promotes health, well-being and quality of life for all people through research and evaluation, training and technical assistance, and by building community partnerships. They offer global positions for employment.
- United Nations Development Programme: UNDP is at the forefront of today’s development dialogue in championing the poor and disadvantaged on a global basis. They list their jobs on this page and information on how to apply.
- WHO Employment Site: The World Health Organization offers descriptions of their employment opportunities, as well as explanations about contracts, recruitment and more.
Government Public Health Jobs Sites
- CDC Employment: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offer a site for public health employment within this agency. They walk applicants through the job application process and new hires through the arrival process, too. You also can tap into the CDC’s Global Health employment opportunities.
- EPA Careers and Internships: If your focus is on environmental public health, this may prove one of your best job resources. The Environmental Protection Agency provides answers to all your employment questions at this link.
- HHS Careers: The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is a broad agency that can provide you with a variety of job opportunities in public health. The Department is responsible for managing more than 300 programs that cover a wide spectrum of program areas.
- Medical and Public Health Jobs in the Federal Government: To view the full range of federal jobs in the public health sector, you first must apply at USAJOBS, a government jobs Web site.
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services: Although this list does not imply that there are current openings for the listed classifications, applications are accepted on a continuous basis for maintaining registers of interested applicants.
- NACCHO Careers: When local health departments (LHDs) want to make a career connection, they look to NACCHO’s Career Center, a place that links job seekers with LHDs so that the right match is made. And it’s not just for LHDs; other agencies can also take advantage of NACCHO’s Career Center to post jobs relevant to local public health officials and their staffs.
- Jobs @ NIH: The National Institute of Health, otherwise known as the Nation’s Medical Research Agency, offers a job search for a variety of positions, including jobs for the public. Use this site, too, for Federal resume tips, tutorials and more to help you in your search for a government public health career.
- San Francisco Department of Public Health: DPH has career opportunities you might expect, such as positions for nurses, pharmacists and social workers; but, they also offer entry level to senior management opportunities in a number of other diverse fields, such as finance, information technology, environmental health inspection and more.