After the Haitian earthquake news coverage, you might have realized the issues in that situation that pertained to public health. Business, food and drugs, a natural disaster, weather and the environmental all affected the Haitian population’s health after that earthquake. We tackled those topics as categories as we built this top 50 public health blog list for you to stay on top of public health issues from a local to global basis.
Public Health Business and Economics
- Health Business Blog: David E. Williams focuses on business issues in health care.
- Health Care Law Blog: Bob Coffield helps businesses and health care providers weave through a variety of state and federal health care regulations and business transactions.
- Health Populi: Jane Sarasohn-Kahn focuses on the nexus of health care and technology applying the tools of scenario and strategic planning, qualitative market research, forecasting, and health policy analysis.
- Healthcare Economist: Jason Shafrin’s research interests include all issues related to healthcare policy and economics, the health insurance market and Medicare research.
- Pioneering Ideas: This blog tackles breakthrough ideas in health and health care, sponsored by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- Running a Hospital: The President and CEO of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston relays stories about daily hospital business.
- The Health Care Blog: This long-running and popular blog broaches “everything you always wanted to know about the Health Care system,” but were afraid to ask.
- The Health Economics Blog: A global look from the perspective of professionals in the field.
- The International Medical Market Place: Gain insight into international trade and the medical business with this blog.
- WSJ Health Blog: WSJ’s Health Blog offers news and analysis on health and the business of health.
Food and Pharmaceuticals
- AngryToxicologist: This PhD scientist in the public health sector is angry about what you don’t know about toxicology.
- Barfblog: The title says it all…learn more about safe food from farm to fork, without all the nasty stuff.
- Civil Eats: The writers of this blog support the development of a dialog among local and national leaders about the American food system, and its effects abroad.
- Food Law Prof Blog: Follow this blog to learn more about illegal foods, food practices and more.
- Food Safety and Environmental Health Blog: This blog covers the food industry and food safety related businesses from the farm retail and restaurant operations.
- Hooked: Ethics, Medicine, and Pharma: Get updates and commentary related to the book by the same name, by Howard Brody, MD, PhD.
- In the Pipeline: Derek Lowe’s long-running and insightful blog focuses on drug discovery and the pharma industry in general.
- PharmaGossip: This blog looks beyond the “spin of Big Pharma PR,” and encourages gossip from anyone who knows the scoop.
- Pharmalot: Ed Silverman is a prize-winning journalist who has covered the pharmaceutical industry for the past 14 years.
- U.S. Food Policy Blog: Parke Wilde teaches and writes about U.S. food policy at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University.
- Better Health for All: This blog, supported by the Faculty of Public Health in the UK, aims to promote and protect the public health.
- Covering Health: The Association of Health Care Journalists provides information about health and health care issues for journalists who cover these stories.
- Faster Cures: FasterCures aims to amplify the productivity of the considerable resources and expansive infrastructure dedicated to finding new medical solutions.
- Gary Schwitzer’s HealthNewsReview Blog: The publisher of Health News Review provides information about public health.
- Global Health Ideas: This blog provides an interactive format for public health advocates, teachers, engineers, computer scientists and business/technology experts.
- Health 2.0: This blog is for the global Health2.0 Community to write and to comment about issues in Health 2.0.
- Healthy Travel Blog: Staying healthy while traveling can prove to be challenging. Learn how to stay healthy with this blog.
- Karen Grepin’s Global Health Blog: Karen Grepin, an Assistant Professor of Global Health Policy at NYU-Wagner Graduate School of Public Service, explores global health and public health issues.
- The Lancet Global Health Network: The Lancet is an independent and authoritative voice in global medicine. The blog focuses on articles and forum discussion.
- The Pump Handle: The Pump Handle is a place for people interested in public health and the environment to discuss issues that may not be covered in mainstream media.
Pandemics, Diseases and Disasters
- AIDSTruth: This blog presents the scientific evidence that HIV is the cause of AIDS and that the benefits of antiretroviral drugs (ARVs) outweigh the risks.
- Diabetes Mine: Tap into five years’ worth of every imaginable aspect of living with diabetes — from food scales to pharma news and book reviews, to the exasperating things other people say.
- Disaster Preparedness Blog: Keith Erwood has studied disasters, disaster response, severe weather, and emergency preparedness ever since he can remember — and he shares what he knows.
- Flu News Blog: Get a daily update on flu news from around the world through this blog.
- Get Ready Blog: Sponsored by the American Public Health Association, this site helps American prepare for all hazards, including pandemic flu, infectious diseases and other health emergencies.
- H5N1: Learn about influenza, infectious diseases and public health at this blog.
- Malaria Matters: Bill Brieger is currently a Professor in the Health Systems Program of the Department of International Health at Johns Hopkins University as well as the Senior Malaria Adviser for JHPIEGO.
- Public Health Matters: The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) share their public health passions and look forward to listening to readers for greater transparency and accountability.
- Superbug: Read about research, strategies and stories from the front line against methicillin-resistant Staph aureus (MRSA).
- SurvivalBlog: A former U.S. Army Intelligence officer and technical writer blogs about disaster preparedness, both natural and man-made.
Environment and Health
- Blistered Orb Climate Blog: A scathing view of the current view on effects of global warming, along with citations.
- Cold Truth: Andrew Schneider’s blog exposes the secrets that corporations and governments don’t want you to know about.
- Energy Tough Love Blog: It’s not often that a blog will approach environment, energy and public health all in the same breath, but you can find that combination here.
- Enviroblog: Smart discussion about the latest science and news on toxins in your environment.
- Environmental Health News: Learn more about environmental health issues from Environmental Health Sciences, a foundation-funded journalism organization.
- Environmental Justice Blog: This blog addresses environmental justice issues for the State of Environmental Justice in America 2010 Conference.
- Generation Green: The Center for Environmental Health offers a blog that focuses on your personal environments and the chemicals they contain.
- Greenversation: This is the official blog of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- It’s Getting Hot In Here: This blog represents the voice of a growing movement filled with student and youth leaders of the global movement to stop global warming.
- Scientists and Engineers for America: SEA’s mission is to promote evidence-based decision making in at all levels of our government.